An Old Fashioned Christmas in Whynot
Photography by Ashley Fetner
Fair Grove Methodist Church is located in the Whynot community of southern Randolph County. Organized around 1859, it was known as Mt. Moriah Church. The log church was constructed near the site of the historic Plank Road and was burned during the Civil War. In 1870 a new church was constructed and named Fair Grove because of its location in a grove of oak trees. Construction began on the present church building in 1900 and was completed in 1902. Fair Grove served the Whynot community until it was closed by the Methodist Conference in 1935.
The volunteer Why Not Memorial Association, organized in 1936, continues to maintain and preserve the church and grounds.
On a very cold evening in December, we attended the Old Fashioned Christmas service here. The church is without a heating system but the spirit of those in attendance, mingled with the aroma of ginger cookies and hot cider, ushered in warmth that even central heat could not provide. After an opening prayer, we sang "O Come All Ye Faithful." The Strings of Pearls, The Pioneers and a choir of area singers offered music. We closed singing "Go Tell It On The Mountain."
The special Christmas service is held here the first Sunday night in December and is open to the public.
About the AuthorKay and Ashley Fetner live in Asheboro and are members of Randolph EMC. Visit