In a recent survey, the following were voted the favorite backyard tomato varieties:
- Brandywine: Super flavor, thin skin, wonderful on bread with a skim of mayo and lettuce.
- Beefsteak: eat just like an apple.
- Better Boy: longtime favorite with a great taste.
- Early Girl: heavy producer.
- Roma: great flavor and not soggy on bread.
- Celebrity: sweet and juicy; loves producing in hot weather.
- Rutgers: long-time favorite, never splits, very good flavor.
- Sweet 100: cherry type, very sweet; perfect for snacking.
- Hillbilly: heirloom, great taste.
- Black Prince: heirloom, extraordinary taste, great for slicing.