Pineapple Au Gratin
- 2 cups self-rising flour*
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cans (20 ounces each) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 70 butter-flavored crackers, crushed
In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1½ cups juice. Add juice to flour mixture; mix well. Stir in the pineapple and cheese.
Pour into a greased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and stir; bake 10 minutes longer.
Combine melted butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over pineapple mixture. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes our clean.
*Editor's Note: As a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1½ teaspoons baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt in a measuring cup; add all-purpose flour to equal 1 cup.