- Category: Desserts
- Servings: 8
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or stick margarine
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and orange juice; toss to coat. Transfer to an 11-by-7-by-2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
For topping, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop eight mounds onto the apple mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm if desired.