Chocolate Cherry Heart
- Category: Desserts
- Servings: 6–8
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) hot fudge ice cream topping
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
Let pastry stand at room temperature for 15–20 minutes. Unfold pastry and place each circle on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon flour; turn over. Using a 9-inch paper heart pattern, cut out a heart from each circle. Prick pastries all over with a fork. Brush with egg white.
Combine almonds and sugar; sprinkle over pastries. Bake at 450 degrees for 7–9 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully slide crusts onto wire racks to cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and almond extract; beat until smooth. Add cream; beat until thickened.
Place one crust on a serving plate; spread with half of fudge topping. Carefully spread with half of the cream cheese mixture; top with half of the cherry pie filling. Top with remaining crust, fudge topping and cream cheese mixture. Spoon remaining cherry pie filling to within 1-inch of edges.
Chill until set. Refrigerate leftovers.