- 2 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped sweet red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir mushrooms, onion and peppers in bacon drippings until tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove to a small bowl, cool completely. Stir in bacon.
In a large bowl, combine beef, steak sauce and seasoned salt, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 16 thin patties. Top 8 of the patties with cheese, folding over cheese to fit within ¾ inch of edge. Spread with mushroom mixture. Top with remaining patties, pressing edges to enclose filling.
Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium-high heat or broil 4 inches from heat for
5–6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted in meat portion reads
160 degrees. Serve on rolls.