Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup salted cashew halves
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
In a greased 3-quart baking dish, combine the broth, rice, 1 cup onions, soy sauce, butter and thyme. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 65–70 minutes or until rice is tender.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, garlic and remaining onions in oil until crisp-tender; spoon over rice mixture.
Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cashews and cheese if desired. Bake 5–7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.