Garden Orzo Risotto
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, sauté zucchini and shallot in oil until almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the orzo, broth and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low cook and stir for 10–15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and basil; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat; stir in the cheese, salt and pepper.