Fresh Broccoli and Mandarin Salad
- Category: Salads
- Servings: 10-12
- 4 cups fresh 1-inch broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ medium red onion, sliced in ⅛-inch thick rings
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Combine vinegar and water, and stir into sugar mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg and yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Gently stir in mayonnaise and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
In a large salad bowl, combine the broccoli, mushrooms, onion, oranges, bacon, almonds and raisins. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Store in refrigerator.