Patriotic Taco Salad
- Category: Salads
- Servings: 8
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope taco seasonings
- 6 cups tortilla or corn chips*
- 4 to 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 9 to 10 pitted large ripe olives, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Place chips in an ungreased 13-by-9-by-2-inch dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the top. Cover with lettuce. For each star, arrange 5 olive slices together in the upper left corner. To form stripes, add cheese and tomatoes in alternating rows. Serve immediately.
*Editor's Note: If you wish to prepare this salad in advance, omit the layer of chips and serve them with the salad.