Italian Zucchini Casserole
- Category: Side Dishes
- Servings: 6-8
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced (about 6 1⁄2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry instant stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, cook zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil until tender; about 5-6 minutes; drain and set aside.
In the same skillet; sauté the onion and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in zucchini.
Place in an ungreased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish. Top with stuffing mix; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until golden.