Spinach Soup with Chickpeas and Potatoes
- Category: Soups
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 10 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 2 large potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and into 1/4 inch slices
- 15 ounces cooked chickpeas (8 ounces dry)—if you use canned, drain and rinse well
- 10 ounces spinach (if frozen thaw and press dry)
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sharp cheddar cheese or Parmesano Reggiano, grated for topping
Place oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes translucent. Do not allow the garlic to burn, as it will taste bitter. Add the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Stir in the chickpeas, spinach and roasted red peppers. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until chickpeas, spinach and peppers are heated through. Season to taste. Serve in bowls and top with cheese. Better the second day.
If you want to add a meat to this recipe, try cooked Italian sausage cut into bite-size pieces or cooked chicken breast pulled apart in small pieces.