For many newly engaged couples January not only rings in the New Year, it heralds the beginning of months of wedding planning. Preparing for the big day means planning key components well in advance of the actual ceremony and reception.
Here are some action steps that wedding experts encourage couples to take when planning a wedding:
- Pick a date. Talk with family about potential wedding dates to ensure the important people in your lives can take part.
- Select your guests. The number of guests you invite will directly influence the cost of your wedding.
- Set a budget. It will have a great impact on every other aspect of your day, as well as your honeymoon. Plan for a little wiggle room for unexpected expenses.
- Choose a location. Most popular bridal spots are just that — popular — so you may want to start searching for a location quickly.
- Choose folks for the bridal party. Make careful decisions about who you want supporting you leading up to the big day.
- Pick a style. Many brides or couples choose wedding themes that are reflected in their save-the-dates, invitations, ceremonies, receptions and thank-you cards.
- Hire a caterer. Take into account the dietary needs of guests by offering a variety of menu options, including a vegetarian dish.
- Make the announcement. Do you plan to make one in your local paper? Will you include a link to a wedding day website on your save-the-date or wedding invitations?
- Get the gown and the suit. Listen to your instincts and choose fashion that reflects your personality and style.
- Choose bridal party attire. Consider using dresses your bridesmaids can re-use.
- Hire a photographer and discuss your expectations for formal and informal shots.
- Select your florist. Once you set the date, discuss with your florist which flowers will be in season. Flowers out of season will be harder to come by and more expensive.
- Order the cake. Whether you choose a large multi-tiered cake or cupcakes, pick flavors you truly enjoy.
- Book the entertainment. Do you want a DJ or a live band? Talk with your fiancé about the types of tunes you want played at your reception.
- Consider insuring the engagement ring (and later) your wedding rings against loss and theft. For a free insurance quote, visit insureyourjewelry.com