ReadyNC App helps families deal with emergencies
A new mobile application helps North Carolinians make storm preparations and get real-time updates on weather, traffic and hazard information. The free app does not replace calling 911 but provides helpful information, including:
- Real-time traffic and weather information
- Critical information on how to be safe during different hazardous events
- Real-time information about opened shelters for evacuees (including addresses, capacity, directions and if the shelter is pet-friendly)
- Real-time updates on flood levels of major nearby creeks and rivers
- Phone numbers and links to all North Carolina power companies to report outages
- Basic instructions on how to develop emergency plans and what to put in your emergency supplies kit
- Real-time information on which counties have issued evacuation orders
- Contact numbers and links to websites for those who need help recovering from a disaster
- Direct links to the ReadyNC.org and NCDPS.gov websites and social media accounts
The app is available in the AppStore for iPhones and Google Play for Android devices. It was developed by N.C. Emergency Management using Citizen Corps funds for emergency preparedness.
In case of power outages, electric cooperative members should notify their co-op directly if they are without electricity. Members can also check their co-op's website and other sources such as Facebook for updates.