Smoked Ham and Rice Salad
- 1 cup white rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus additional to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
In a medium saucepan, bring rice and 1½ cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 18 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes, covered, to allow rice to finish cooking. Fluff rice with a fork.
In a large bowl, combine rice, ham, tomatoes, parsley, onions, jalapeno, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir well, breaking up any clumps of rice. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper or vinegar, if desired.