Where in Carolina Country is This?
The February “Where Is This” photo by Blue Ridge Energy member Wanda Williams features the old Lansing Infirmary (also known as the Jones Infirmary), located on Highway 194 in the Lansing Community of Ashe County. Dr. Thomas Jefferson Jones built the now-abandoned hospital in 1882, which closed in 1932 when Ashe County Memorial Hospital opened. The old infirmary later served as an apartment building. Reader Nell Baldwin remembers living on the first floor in the 1940s and finding an old skeleton in an upstairs room. A concrete walkway connected the infirmary to the doctor’s house. The house is known for being one of the first in the area to have a telephone switchboard and early gas lighting system, according to the Ashe County Historical Society. The winning entry chosen at random from all correct submissions came from Betty Parsons of Lansing, a Blue Ridge Energy member.