Banana Macaroon Trifle
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 small firm bananas, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
For macaroon mixture, beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until well blended. Add egg; mix well. Combine coconut, oats, flour and baking powder. Combine milk and vanilla; add to the sugar mixture alternately with coconut mixture (mixture will appear curdled).
Spread in a well-greased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely; crumble. Set aside 1⁄4 cup for topping.
Just before serving, toss bananas with pineapple juice. In a 21⁄2 quart serving bowl, layer a third of the macaroon crumbs, whipped topping and bananas. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
* Store bought macaroons may be substituted.