Carrot Cake Muffins With Pineapple Whipped Cream
Enjoy these gluten-free, moist and flavorful muffins for breakfast, as a late morning snack, or even alongside a bowl of soup or chowder. The recipe is easily doubled so you can freeze to “heat ’n eat.”
- 2½ cups almond meal
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking spice
- 2 cups (about 3 large) carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (Duke’s preferred)
- 3 eggs
- ½ pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (8-ounce) crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Almond meal crumbs for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Line 12-cup muffin pan with papers. Divide mixture into cupcake papers.
Bake about 20 to 25 minutes until tops spring back to touch.
Whip cream and cheese with mixer until stiff.
Fold in extract, pineapple and honey.
At serving time, top each cooled muffin with a dollop of the whipped cream. Dust with almond meal crumbs to garnish.