Lime Angel Food Cake
- Category: Desserts
- Servings: 12
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake (10 inches)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and yolks. Stir in 1/2 cup of sugar, lime juice and peel. Cook over simmering water while gradually whisking in butter. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and reaches 160 degrees. Strain; refrigerate until completely cool. In a mixing bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in remaining sugar. Gently fold into lime mixture.
Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread 2⁄3 cup lime mixture. Repeat. Place top layer on cake. Frost top and sides with remaining lime mixture. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing.