Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 5 cups broccoli florets, blanched and drained
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates, approximately 8 minutes. Remove from pan, and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium. Add butter to pan, stirring until melted. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add Cheddar, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts.
In a large bowl, combine cheese sauce, mushroom mixture, chicken and broccoli. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake until browned and bubbly, approximately 15 minutes.