Cornbread-Topped Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 package (14 ounce) frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15.25 ounce) corn, drained
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking dish or individual baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
For filling: In a large saucepan, place frozen vegetables; add water to cover. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, and cook just until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain vegetables, and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until just barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, salt, pepper and flour, stirring until well combined. Add cream and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour mixture over vegetables. Stir in chicken. Taste filling; adjust seasoning, if desired. Spoon vegetable mixture in bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
For topping: In a large bowl, place cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to combine. Add milk, melted butter and eggs, stirring until mixture is smooth. Stir in cheese and corn. Spoon cornbread mixture over filling, spreading to edges.
Bake until cornbread is lightly browned on top, approximately 20 minutes. Serve hot.