Grilled Southwestern Romaine Topped with NC Shrimp
Dressed up or down as you’d like, grilled romaine is as quick a side as you can fix … but watch it closely, it is ready in a flash!
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¾ cup oil, divided
- 4 heads romaine lettuce, split lengthwise
- Ears corn, shucked
- Colorful peppers, cut in wedges
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Limes, cut in wedges
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- ½ cup vinegar-based BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
Whisk dressing ingredients together until blended and set aside.
Toss shrimp with cumin, brown sugar and ¼ cup oil. Slide onto skewers. Grill over hot coals about 3–4 minutes on each side until done.
Brush lettuce with ¼ cup oil. Grill 1–2 minutes on each side just to get a light char. Remove to serving platter.
Brush corn and peppers with ¼ cup oil. Grill until corn is roasted and peppers are a bit charred. Remove and let cool. Cut corn from cob. Scatter toppings and shrimp about lettuce on platter.
Serve with dressing.