Sweet Potato Sausage Spread with toasted baguettes
- 2 cups of diced sweet potatoes (about a ¼ of an inch cubed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ¼ small onion, chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper (¼ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can
- Italian diced tomatoes (slightly drained)
- 1 French loaf baguette
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1–2 ounces of parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine olive oil and cayenne pepper. Toss sweet potatoes gently to coat. Spread evenly on a baking pan and bake 350 degrees for 35–40 minutes or until tender, stirring if needed.
In a medium frying pan, add sausage, chopped onion and chopped red bell pepper. Cook until brown. Drain grease and press garlic into sausage mixture. Cook for 2–3 minutes.
Add cream cheese, ¼ cup of Colby Jack cheese, roasted sweet potatoes and canned tomatoes. Stir until well blended. Add sausage mixture to a small baking dish.
Top with the remaining Colby jack cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, approximately 5 minutes.
For toasted baguettes, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut loaf in quarter-inch slices. In a small bowl, add Italian seasoning to olive oil and mix well.
Brush olive oil mixture onto each slice of bread and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle finely shredded parmesan cheese to cover bread pieces. Toast for 7 minutes.