Collards with Bacon and Onions
- Category: Side Dishes
- 1 pound bacon, reserve half for crunch topping
- 3 red onions, chopped very course
- 1¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2–3 bunches of collards, wash, de-stem and chop or tear
- 1–2 bunches of kale, wash, de-stem and chop or tear
Cook bacon, remove from pan leaving 4 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
Sauté red onions in grease until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
To the pan, add chicken stock, brown sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, half the bacon and half the greens. Mix and let cook down a little until wilted and there is room in pan to add more of the greens until all are in the pan.
Cook 30 minutes on simmer, add onions, simmer another 30 minutes.
Serve with crumbled bacon on top.