Hushpuppy Salad With Creamed Corn Dressing
This no-cook version of cornbread salad is quick to throw together. Just stop by your local BBQ restaurant for hushpuppies. Adjust the vegetables depending on your tastes and what is in season.
- 1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (Duke’s preferred)
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice
- 3 dozen thumb-size room temp hushpuppies (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup diced watermelon rind pickle
- 1 small onion cut into thin slivers (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups thinly sliced assorted color bell peppers
- 1–2 minced jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups chopped tomato
Whisk together the corn, mustard, mayonnaise and pickle juice.
Break hushpuppies into ½-inch pieces. Add corn dressing and stir to coat well.
Fold in remaining ingredients. (Note: Prep veggies the day before if need be, but it’s best if stirred together just a couple of hours before serving to prevent the hushpuppies from getting too soggy.)
Chill for a couple of hours before serving.