Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 1 pound sage-flavored pork sausage
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped sweet red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup converted rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat; transfer sausage to a 2 ½-quart greased casserole dish. In the sausage drippings, sauté celery, onion, peppers and mushrooms until lightly browned; transfer to casserole.
To the casserole, add the water chestnuts, rice, broth and seasonings; mix well. Cover tightly and bake for 1 to 1½ hours or until rice is fluffy and tender.