A homemade recipe for fun
The at-home learning packet for the NC Museum of History’s “Toy Boom!” exhibit offers several recipes for DIY playdough, including this classic.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring
- 1 cup flour
- Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm.
- Remove from heat and add flour.
- Stir, then knead until smooth. The cream of tartar makes this dough last six months or longer, so resist the temptation to omit this ingredient if you don’t have it on hand.
- Store this dough in an airtight container or a Ziploc freezer bag.
Recipe courtesy of the NC Museum of History, adapted from familyeducation.com.
More things kids can make from Tar Heel Tidbits