Today’s consumers want and expect options, including the type of energy powering their homes. Many homeowners are looking for ways to save on their energy bills. Some are looking for a green energy source. These two motives are why many homeowners are exploring rooftop solar panels.
As attractive and popular as rooftop solar may appear, it is important for consumers to fully understand its true costs, the operational reality of this form of energy, along with potential energy savings it could provide. To determine whether rooftop solar is right for their particular situation, homeowners must undertake their due diligence.
We’re here to help.
As your trusted energy advisor, Union Power Cooperative can offer an assessment of your specific situation. We advise that you set goals of what you want to achieve with a solar system. Take your time and do your homework to determine if the investment with solar makes sense to help you achieve those goals.
When assessing solar options, it is an excellent time to examine other potential energy efficiency improvements for your home. We can work with you to ensure that your home is operating at the most efficient condition. It may be a good time to determine the age and current condition of your water heater. It is always good to know the condition of your HVAC system as well. Overall, HVAC contributes the most towards your power consumption. If there is an opportunity to improve the performance of your home, we want to bring that to your attention before investing in solar options.
Is rooftop solar right for you?
To help determine whether rooftop solar is right for you, Union Power’s energy advisors will look at the:
- overall energy efficiency of the home/building
- age and pitch of the roof
- orientation of the sun in relation to the home/building
- tree coverage near the home/building
- weather patterns for the region
Unlike a solar company that has one objective— to sell their products and services — we will look at the total energy picture and help you determine the best options for your home. While rooftop solar certainly works for many people, it’s not the answer for all.
When helping co-op members determine whether rooftop solar is right for them, a co-op energy advisor will also discuss the many financial considerations:
- Is there a large, up-front payment required or are fees spread out over time?
- Will the homeowner own the panels or will they be leased?
- Are there any hidden costs, i.e., does the roof need to be replaced before installing the panels?
- Are there ongoing maintenance fees?
- Are there rebates or other financial incentives available?
- Is the estimated energy savings worth the investment?
- Is it more cost effective to invest in other energy-saving measures?
Taking into account current energy consumption, the home “envelope,” age and efficiency of the HVAC system and home site, an energy advisor can help co-op members determine whether rooftop solar is the best choice given the homeowners’ objectives.
Union Power Cooperative recognizes that consumer interest in green energy sources and renewables is at an all-time high, and we stand ready to help our members determine their best options.