It is once again time to nominate candidates for Tideland’s annual director elections. The nominating committee will meet in Pantego on Tuesday, February 12, 2019, to consider candidates for districts 1, 3 and 9, which are currently represented by Rudy Austin, Dawson Pugh and J. Douglas Brinson, respectively. Interested candidates should contact a member of the nominating committee prior to the meeting. The committee’s nominees will be posted at all Tideland offices on February 13, 2019.
Nominations can also be made by submitting a petition signed by 50 co-op members no later than February 17, 2019. The last day to introduce new business via petition is April 8, 2019. The annual meeting of members will be held at Beaufort County Community College on Thursday, May 9, 2019.
The following guidelines are excerpted from Board Policy No. 302 and Bylaw 4.02 to ensure quality representation.
Legal & Personal Requirements
- A Tideland member & bonafide resident of the directorial district.
- A member no less than two years on the date of election.
- Willing to promote & protect the co-op’s interests.
- Able to impartially represent the entire co-op membership.
- Willing to regularly attend board meetings.
- May not be a close relative of an existing director or employee.
- Is not employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise.
- Was not previously employed by TEMC, any other utility/energy company, or any entity which substantially rendered services to a utility/energy company.
Aspects of Service
- Put forth the effort to understand the co-op and provide sound judgement to reach decisions.
- Respect official decisions made by a majority of the board.
- Objectively evaluate questions and problems facing TEMC.
Points to Consider
- Has the member demonstrated sound business judgement?
- Has the member shown a capacity for leadership & a reputation for honesty & integrity?
- Has the member shown a capacity for working well with others?
- What problems might hinder the nominee’s success?