Strawberries and Cream Icebox Cake
- Category: Desserts
- 1½ cups self-rising flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup strawberry syrup, such as Smucker’s Strawberry Syrup, divided
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans, toasted
Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick baking spray with flour. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Add butter, milk, vanilla and eggs. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer just until blended. Pour batter into prepared dish.
Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 23 minutes. Remove from oven. While cake is warm, pierce entire surface with a fork or wooden pick. Pour ¾ cup strawberry syrup over cake. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, approximately 3 hours.
In a medium bowl, combine cream, confectioners’ sugar and sour cream. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake; top with strawberries and pecans. Drizzle with remaining ¼ cup strawberry syrup. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours, adding strawberry syrup just before serving.