Au Gratin Red Potatoes
- Category: Side Dishes
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, 2 cups milk, garlic and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes to a 1 1/2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; stir into hot milk mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Pour over potatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan. Combine wheat germ and oil; sprinkle over top.
Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.