- Jasmine McBride (center), an eighth grader at Lumberton Junior High School, giggles as Mrs. Wuf reaches out for a high-five. Jasmine is the daughter of Patrick and Debra McBride and attended the Kellie Harper Basketball Academy last summer on a full scholarship from Lumbee River EMC.
- Lauren Garner (left), daughter of Andy and Jennifer Garner and student at Randleman Middle, smiles with family before receiving her certificate of accomplishment. Lauren was awarded a Touchstone Energy Sports Camp scholarship in 2012 from Randolph EMC.
- Samantha “Sammi” Willis (right), daughter of Duane and Angela Willis, attended the Kellie Harper Basketball Academy last summer on a full scholarship from Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative.
- Brittany Franklin (top left), a student at Washington County Union school and daughter of Deborah Franklin, won her scholarship from Pantego-based Tideland EMC.
- Trenise Moore (top right), an eighth grader at Phillips Middle School, received her Touchstone Energy Sport Camp scholarship last summer from Edgecombe-Martin County EMC, based in Tarboro.
- Chloe Bryan (standing, third from left) is the daughter of Charles and Linda Bryan and received her scholarship courtesy of South River EMC. She had a big fan section cheering for her at the Touchstone Energy scholarship recipient recognition event.
- Olivia Dougherty (far right), an eighth grader at G.C. Hawley Middle School, leads the line during lunch. Olivia’s Touchstone Energy scholarship was sponsored by Wake Electric, based in Wake Forest.
- Journee Matthews (lower right), daughter of Vicki and James Matthews and an eighth grader at Shallotte Middle, smiles before receiving her certificate of accomplishment. Journee received her camp scholarship from Brunswick EMC, based in Shallotte.
- Mrs. Wuf hugs Natalie Womble of Moncure School, who attended last summer’s camp on a scholarship from Central EMC.
- Nelle Hotchkiss (third from right), senior vice president of corporate relations at North Carolina EMC, congratulates scholarship winner Alexis Hensley (far right).
- Markayla Ballard, eighth grader at Burgaw Middle and daughter of Marcus Ballard and Erica Jacobs, smiles with Mrs. Wuf. Four County EMC sponsored Markayla’s camp scholarship.
- Macayla Tyndall (far right), daughter of Eric and Margaret Lee Tyndall and a student at Grantham School, received her scholarship courtesy of Tri-County EMC, based in Dudley.
- Khalicia Lee (second from right), an eighth grader at Greene County Middle School, received her Touchstone Energy scholarship from Pitt & Greene EMC.
- Sixth-grader Vanesa Autry receives her certificate of accomplishment for winning a scholarship to the Kellie Harper Wolfpack Basketball Academy from North Carolina EMC.
- Olivia Dougherty, daughter of Ann Dougherty, receives her certificate of accomplishment.
- Alexis Hensley of Marion, a seventh grader at West McDowell Junior High, attended the Kellie Harper Wolfpack Basketball Academy last summer on a full scholarship from Rutherford EMC. Alexis is the daughter of Tiffany Hensley Coates.
- Emily Holland, daughter of Douglas and Renee Holland, is honored for receiving a 2012 Touchstone Energy Sports Camp scholarship from EnergyUnited.
- Faith Latham, daughter of Brian and Jessica Latham and a seventh grader at Southwestern Randolph Middle, receives her certificate of accomplishment. Faith’s scholarship was sponsored by Randolph Electric, based in Asheboro.
- Lefler McManus, daughter of Johnny and Keilah McManus, receives her certificate of accomplishment. Lefler is a seventh grader at West Stanly Middle and received her camp scholarship from Union Power Cooperative, based in Monroe.
- Dara McCluskey, an eighth-grader at Franklin Academy and daughter of Ed and Jan McCluskey, is honored for her achievement by her scholarship sponsor, Wake Electric.
- Hayley Ramsey, a seventh grader and “A” honor roll student at Waynesville Middle School, receives her certificate. Haywood EMC sponsored Hayley’s participation at camp.
- Touchstone Energy scholarship winners and their guests line up to cheer on the Wolfpack at Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh.
- Horns blaring, the N.C. State University band amps up the crowd.
- The Touchstone Energy honorees enjoyed reserved seats and a court-level view.
- Faith Latham captures the action with her cell phone of the Wolfpack battling the Demon Deacons on the hardwoods.
- N.C. State never lost the lead on Feb. 3 and beat Wake Forest University 64-55 at Reynolds Coliseum.
- The 2012 scholarship winners were honored on the court at halftime.
Click on the photo to view slideshow. (Photos by Peter Damroth, Damroth Photography)
More than 20 young ladies who won full scholarships to the Kellie Harper Basketball Academy from North Carolina's Touchstone Energy cooperatives were recently honored in a special halftime presentation at a Wolfpack women's basketball game. The girls received a certificate of achievement and were called by name onto the court of historic Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh at the Feb. 3 game against Wake Forest.
"North Carolina's electric cooperatives are thrilled to honor these deserving young ladies and to continue providing scholarships that give kids a chance to work with NCAA coaches, broaden their horizons and develop skills that will help them excel on and off the court," said Nelle Hotchkiss, vice president of corporate relations for the N.C. Association of Electric Cooperatives.
The scholarship winners and their guests received tickets to the game and a catered lunch, and took photos with N.C. State mascot Mrs. Wuf. The cooperatives also presented the Kellie Harper Women's Basketball Academy with a check for $14,600 in support of the scholarships.
This summer will mark the 12th year the co-ops have offered this educational and athletic opportunity to middle-school students in North Carolina. Applications for the 2013 Touchstone Energy scholarships to the Roy Williams Carolina Basketball Camp and Kellie Harper Basketball Academy will be accepted through March 30. More than 50 students will receive scholarships statewide. For more information or to print a Touchstone Energy Sports Camp scholarship application, visit NCElectricCooperatives.com.