Peanut Butter Lover’s Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), broken into squares
In a saucepan, whisk 1 egg until blended. Stir in 2⁄3 cup sugar, 1⁄2 cup milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium heat until chocolate is melted and mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with remaining milk. Add chocolate mixture; mix well.
Pour into three greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add milk and peanut butter, beating well after each addition. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cooled cake. Sprinkle with peanuts. Garnish with candy bars. Store in refrigerator.