Cherry Cordial Torte
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 1 package (18-21 ounces) traditional or chewy brownie mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cans (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 bars (1.45 ounces) dark chocolate candy, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Additional powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two torte pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Place 8-inch circles of parchment paper over centers of pans; set aside.
For torte layers, combine brownie mix, eggs, oil and water; mix well. Divide batter between pans, spreading to edges. Bake 10-12 minutes or until centers feel firm to the touch. Remove pans from oven; cool in pans 5 minutes. Invert brownies onto cooling rack and cool completely.
Meanwhile, for filling, strain one can of the cherry filling in a small colander to remove and discard glaze; place cherries into bowl. Fold in whipped topping, sugar, chocolate and almond extract.
To assemble torte, transfer one brownie well-side up to platter. Spread filling into brownie well. Place top brownie layer well-side up over filling. Using a slotted spoon, spoon second can of cherry pie filling into well of brownie, straining out about 1/4 cup of the glaze. Spread pie filling over well, leaving a 1-inch border around edge of well. Sprinkle toasted almonds into border. Sprinkle powdered sugar over almonds, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.