Packing well means planning ahead
Select a clean, safe truck and reserve it early. Other services such as towing equipment, storage space and hiring some labor may help make your move run smoother. You can save time by buying boxes ahead of time. Some truck companies sell boxes and other supplies online.
Begin packing nonessential items as soon as possible. Prepare a moving-day kit, including items such as directions, map, GPS, reading glasses, sunglasses, prescription drugs, flashlight, water, snacks and games for kids, and new house keys.
For a planning guide with a timeline, visit pensketruckrental.com.
Label boxes by specific room (“master bedroom,” “second-floor bathroom,” etc.) so it’s easy to place boxes.
Check with the appliance dealer or its website for any special moving instructions. Remove loose fittings and accessories, and pack them separately. Tie down, tape or wedge all movable parts and doors, and pad the exterior well.
Fill drawers with small breakable items, and cushion them with loose clothes. Secure drawers with a pad or blanket (tape can remove the finish) and tie with rope. Don’t overload drawers with heavy items.
Don’t move paint and flammables, such as alcohol, solvents, lighter fluid and ammunition.
Tools, gardening equipment
Drain hoses, coil and pack in boxes. Fill remaining space with lawn sprinklers and small garden hand tools. Tie rakes, shovels and other long-handled tools together with rope or tape.
Choosing a moving truck
When weighing your options, keep these tips in mind:
- Look for a company with a strong track record of customer satisfaction, flexible reservation and cancellation policies, and emergency-friendly services such as 24-hour roadside assistance.
- Choose the right size of truck. If the truck is too small, your items may be shoved in too tightly. A too-big truck leaves room for items to shift during transport.
- Determine what features you’ll need, such as flat floor, loading ramp/lift and towing equipment.
Handling key papers, jewelry
Set aside jewelry, important papers and your safe deposit box in one container to keep with you throughout the move. Items to safekeep include:
- Children’s school records
- Insurance policies
- Bank statements and credit records
- Medical and dental records
- Irreplaceable photographs
- Tax return records
- Relocation services
For businesses who wish to relocate their employees or place new hires, some truck rental companies, including Penske, offer a complete relocation service. Whether employees want to move themselves or have packing, unpacking or storage needs, this service can help. Visit pensketruckrental.com and search for Relocation Services.