Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- Category: Chicken, Breakfast
- Servings: 1 dozen patties
- Print Recipe
Pull out your cast iron skillet for this one to get a nice little “crunch” on the patties. Making sausage to suit your own taste is really easy to do, as is making a big batch since you can freeze the patties and use as needed. Sub ground pork if you like, but we love the moistness from using ground chicken.
- 1½ pounds ground chicken (dark/white mix)
- 1 small onion, finely minced (about ¾ cup)
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (or more!) crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup, optional*
Combine all ingredients, except syrup, and mix well, forming 12 patties.
Heat skillet to medium and add just enough oil to coat. Fry about 12–15 minutes, turning once, until the centers are cooked through.
*If you’d like to go the maple route, include 4 tablespoons of maple syrup in your mix. Note that the patties with the syrup will brown more due to the sugar content.
Recipe courtesy ofWendy Perry, a culinary adventurist and blogger, chats about goodness around NC on her blog at WendysHomeEconomics.com
More Breakfast Recipes
Turkey-Vegetable Brunch CasseroleThanksgiving turkey lives on