Green and Gold Okra Summer Salad
We are all used to stewing and frying okra, but surprise your guests with this delightfully different way to enjoy a Southern summertime favorite.
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 3 large mangos, peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1½ cups white seedless grapes, halved
- 1–2 cups sweet mild green and gold peppers, seeded and sliced
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 quarts raw okra, washed and drained (slice at serving time)
- 1 large jalapeno, sliced, optional
Combine vinegar, sugar, pepper, lime juice and zest. Whisk together and let stand while making salad.
Combine mango, onion, grapes and sweet mild peppers. You can make the salad up to this point ahead of time and keep refrigerated several hours.
When ready to serve, toss in cilantro and fresh-sliced okra (in ½" pieces) into mango mixture. Stir well and garnish with jalapeno slices.