Boo-tiful Brownies A Halloween treat with a Carolina twist
Savor two popular desserts in one plus a nutritional upgrade thanks to the sweet potato! What's more, this root vegetable's color lends the perfect Halloween tint, with no need for artifical dyes.
- 1 package (18.2-ounce dark chocolate fudge brownie mix)
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potato, cooled (Hint: Make a mess of mashed sweet potatoes in advance, and you can use them in other recipes like our 'Deviled' Eggs or Jack-O-Lantern Pies.)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 package (8-ounce, reduced-fat cream cheese)
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potato, cooled
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup miniature chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9- by 9-inch square pan with floured baking spray.
To prepare brownie layer, stir brownie mix, sweet potato, oil, water, and egg in a medium bowl until blended. Spread batter over bottom of prepared pan.
To prepare cheesecake layer, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add mashed sweet potato, sugar, egg, and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread cheese mixture over brownie batter.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out almost clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle surface with chocolate chips. Allow to cool completely. Remove from springform pan and serve.