Creamy Fall Clam Chowder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced shallot
- 4–5 stalks celery, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (more if you prefer thicker)
- Several turns of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 6 cups half & half
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 5 10-ounce cans clams with juice
- Salt, to taste
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté shallot, celery, red peppers and mushrooms until tender. Stir in garlic. Add flour and black & white peppers.
Cook 4–5 minutes, stirring often to incorporate flour. Whisk milk and half & half into flour mixture until smooth. Add thyme and clams.
Simmer until slightly thickened being careful not to boil. Taste and add salt as needed. Garnish with crumbled bacon and sprigs of thyme.