Who says you need to wait until the holiday season to enjoy fruitcake? So moist from all the fruits, this lightly spiced cake is reminiscent of gingerbread and tastes like autumn on a plate. It is easy to omit or change up some of the fruits, as well.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin or apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
- 3 Gala apples, peeled, cored, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, seeded and roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅔ cup chopped nuts, any kind, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat eggs with oil until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Combine sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and spice. Beat in a cup at the time until all has been incorporated into egg mixture. Using spatula, fold in remaining ingredients.
Pour into a 9-by-13-inch prepared pan. Bake for about 45–50 minutes.
Enjoy as-is or with a dollop of whipped cream, lemon or other curd, on a pool of applesauce, or with ice cream dusted with cinnamon.