Fluffy Lemon-Almond Custard
Hot oven + sultry summer day = no fun. Thankfully, this light dessert can be fixed in the evening to enjoy the next day, or thrown in the oven while fixing breakfast. Tasty warm or chilled.
- ⅔ cup almond meal or flour*
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 can (12-ounce) evaporated milk
- Zest of 3 lemons, reserve some for garnish
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds for garnish
- Whipped cream, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie pan.
Combine the meal, sugar and salt.
Whisk egg yolks with butter. Add in the milk, zest, juice and extract. Fold dry ingredients into milk mixture.
Whip the egg whites with mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whites into the mixture until well combined. Pour into prepared pie dish.
Bake 25–30 minutes until about set. Turn off oven and let sit inside oven for 5–10 minutes. Scatter with sliced almonds. Serve warm or chilled with a dollop of whipped cream if you like and a bit of lemon zest.
*Both work great. Flour will provide a more custard-like texture versus the meal.