Oinkers! With Sweet n’ Hot BBQ Gravy Dip
Winner of Midstate Mills first “Best Southern Biscuit Contest” in 2011, these little BBQ biscuit bites are fun to make, delish and a conversation piece. Great for tailgate parties, picnics and for freezing to have on hand when friends drop by (a perfect pairing for cold beer on the patio, as well).
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vinegar-based Eastern NC BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 1¼ cups firmly packed, finely chopped Eastern-style barbecue
- ⅔ cups finely chopped slaw
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle vinegar-based BBQ sauce or combination of thick-thin sauces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, honey or molasses (if using sauce that’s not sweet)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine all biscuit ingredients, folding together until blended. Drop by heaping teaspoon-size mounds onto greased skillet. Mounds should be near, but not touching each other.
Bake about 9 minutes until tops are lightly browned.
For dip, bring sauce(s) to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Reduce to rolling simmer and continue cooking until reduced into thickened “gravy.” Sweeten as desired.
Serve biscuits, warm or at room temp, with BBQ Gravy in bowl for dip’n!