Herbed Spanish Omelet
This tasty omelet keeps brunch simple and prevents "waffling" between breakfast and lunch.
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced, or shredded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Fresh herb sprigs, for garnish (optional)
Place potatoes in large pan. Cover with water. Bring to boil and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain well.
Heat oil in a deep, 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and cook 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine whole eggs and egg whites. Stir in parsley, basil and chives. Season with salt, to taste, if desired. Pour mixture over potatoes in hot skillet. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes, or until bottom of omelet is golden.
If desired, brown top under toaster oven and garnish with fresh herb sprigs.