Campfire Fruit Grunt
Grunts (also called Slumps) were born in New England and are a steamed cobbler that “grunt” when cooking and “slump” as they settle. This treat will make you the envy of the campground!
- 12" cast iron skillet
- About 3 cups each fresh blueberries and sliced peaches
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¾ cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons softened butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¹/₃ cup milk
Prepare coals or heat grill to medium high heat.
Put fruits, sugar and cornstarch in skillet and stir to combine.
Put all dumpling ingredients except milk into zippered plastic bag.
Squish with fingers until butter has been incorporated and you have a crumble mix. Blend in milk.
Add dollops of dumpling batter on top of fruit, leaving space for it to bubble and “grunt.” Close grill lid to cook. If cooking on open coals, cover with foil.
Cook over indirect heat for about 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.