- 1 medium pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ⅓ cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
Cut top off pumpkin; scoop out and discard seeds. In a small bowl combine sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle inside of pumpkin. Replace pumpkin top.
Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 25–30 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, microwave vanilla chips with milk at 70 percent power; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, orange peel, melted chips and remaining cinnamon. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into pie pumpkin. Refrigerate leftovers.
Note: The pumpkin is not fully cooked so that it holds its color and shape. It is used as a serving bowl for the mousse and is not meant to be eaten.