Broccoli Mac & Cheese Bake
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2½ cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup crushed cornbread-flavored crackers (about 6 crackers)
Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 3–4 minutes; drain.
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt until smooth; gradually stir in the evaporated milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups cheese.
Place half of the macaroni and broccoli in a greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Top with half of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 20–25 minutes or until bubbly.