Broccoli Scalloped Potatoes
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups julienned fully cooked ham
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and patted dry
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, white pepper and salt until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in 1 cup cheese. Reduce heat; cook 1–2 minutes or until cheese is melted (sauce will be thick). Remove from heat.
Add potatoes, ham and broccoli to sauce; stir gently to coat. Transfer to eight greased 8-ounce ramekins.
Bake uncovered, 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20–25 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted.