Potluck Chicken Hot Dish
- Category: Chicken
- Servings: 8-10
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise*
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
In a large saucepan, sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in mayonnaise. Add the chicken, rice, celery, peas, pimientos, lemon juice, salt and pepper; mix well.
Transfer to an ungreased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with cornflake crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
*Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise.