Cheese Buds Crunchy, savory goodness
- 1 cup cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 40 pecan halves
- 1 egg white, whisked with 1 teaspoon cold water
- Smoked paprika
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add flour, cheese, butter chunks, salt and cayenne pepper to food processor. Process until ingredients form into ball, about 1 minute.
Remove dough from food processor, wrap with plastic wrap and press into flat round. Place in refrigerator 1 hour.
Dust counter with flour and roll out dough to ¼-inch thick. Using a 1-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
Place one pecan on top of each round. Using pastry brush, lightly paint each cracker with egg wash. Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Bake 12–15 minutes, or until buds just start to brown around bottom edges.
Remove from oven to cooling rack. Store in airtight container up to 1 week or freeze 1 month.