Strawberry Meringue Pie
- 1⁄3 cup finely crushed saltines (about 12 crackers), divided
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 package (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 4 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cracker crumbs into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the vanilla, pecans and remaining cracker crumbs
Spread meringue onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
Cool on a wire rack. Melt chocolate and butter; drizzle over shell. Let stand 15 minutes or until set. Top with berries. Whip the cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form; spoon over berries.